A typical Nigerian who spends time on social media would have heard of the word “Marlian.” Not that the term is new, but in Nigeria, it has come to mean something different, particularly after the rise of famous Nigerian singer and songwriter Azeez Fashola, better known as Naira Marley.
So, what exactly does the word ‘Marlian’ mean? What does it mean and who does it apply to? This article will tell you what you need to know about it.
Meaning of “Marlian”
How To Identify A Marlian
- Are a big fan of Naira Marley’s music.
- If you use Indian hemp (also known as marijuana) – Igbolabi, which means “we gave birth to cannabis” (from a parent’s viewpoint, referring to you as a child).
- You don’t seem to have a problem with drugs.
- Are not only Naira Marley’s fans, but also share his philosophies.
- Don’t give a damn what other people think or say as long as you’re happy.
- Believe the cybercrime or ‘Yahoo-Yahoo’ isn’t as grim as it seems.
- Love being controversial or living a lifestyle that is controversial.
- Believe wearing a belt is not needed. (Marlians are also known as NBGs, or No Belt Gangs.)
- Believe that you should not graduate from university; instead, you should drop out (for undergraduates).
- Don’t wear boxers or trousers (if you’re a woman) (for males).